Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Celestra Series by Addison Moore

Celestra Series by Addison Moore

Book Order:

Ethereal
Tremble
Burn
Wicked
Vex
Expel
Toxic Part 1
Toxic Part 2
Elysian



Rating 4/5

Review

I would first like to start off by saying this has been one of my favorite series. The Celestra series had everything us Sci-Fi YA lovers expect; a love square? (hmm not sure what we should call the dilemma that Skyla faces with Logan, Gage and Marshall), angels, betrayal, lies, villains and of course the story of a first love.

What makes this story much different is that it actually had me flip-flopping who I was rooting for. Usually when I read about a love triangle I quickly pick who I think the main character should pick and stick with it. This series however, I would find myself thinking Logan is perfect for her and then all of the sudden I would be 100% team Gage then somehow be pro Logan again! This happened so frequently in the series I felt like I was right there with Skyla trying to make an impossible decision. I will admit though I did eventually pick a favorite and by the end of the series was dying to know if she picked him.

One of the most endearing aspects of the story for me was how strong the main character was. Instead of doing the usual damsel in distress Skyla was strong and independent; she wouldn't wait for someone to tell her how to fix a problem or expect someone to fix it for her, she would just jump right in. I think sometimes in order to make the love interest likable authors end up making the girl pretty annoying by making them scared and whiney so that the male can swoop in and save the day; this is not the case in this series.

So as much as I loved the series I have to say by the end I wanted answers. I was starting to get a little sick of the dilemma; thinking 'alright, well she has got to like one more than the other.' That being said once the last book came out I was thinking 'finally, I'm going to get some answers,' (I was ready to finish this series I have been reading for a few years) just to end the final book without many conclusions. I know this series has done really well and I applaud the author for making a great series however I think it is time for an entirely new concept; she wrote a mini spin off series then is now starting a new series for Skyla in the new adult genre. I just feel like the idea is getting tired and would really like to see something fresh from a great author.

So that leaves the question of whether I will read the new series when it comes out or not. Truth is...I have no idea, on one hand I still want that ending that I just can't seem to get (the end of the last book felt like a cop out to me) and on the other hand I am starting to just not care.

I've also had friends and family members wholly enjoy this series. Overall, I would recommend this series as I have thoroughly enjoyed it over the years since it's started.

Series Cost 

I estimated the cost through Kindle prices and found the price for the whole series to be about $32 which I would say is a great price for 9 books!! The first book is free so if you're on the fence as to purchasing the series there is no cost to you. Although I must admit if you read the first book the likelihood of not getting hooked is slim-to-none!

No comments:

Post a Comment